Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Koi-Dragon Steps




Well this post is going to explain how I work. I usually dwell on a idea for quite some time before I even lay a single line down. Sometimes hour’s maybe even days. After I have the whole idea down and I know what I want to do I start off with a blue COL-ERASE pencil made by Prisma color. For the paper I use thin 12 Fld velum animation papers that are punched. I use this type of paper because it is easy to erase over and over and really doesn’t leave ugly indentions on the paper after I'm done with the pencils I will tape down a 55lb Vellum made by Canson and go over the lines with a Micron pen. I usually use a .005; it's the smallest they have and gets the job done. I definitely suggest the vellum by Canson I went cheap one time and the other vellum doesn’t hold the lines as well and you end up smearing it. After the ink part is done I go down to the nearest Kinko’s and get it photo copied onto ECO card stock. It’s a thicker paper that loves the markers and soaks them up without them bleeding all over the place. Most of the time I make 4 to 5 copies of each design so if I mess up or Austin wants to draw next to me I have one waiting. After the Kinko’s run I sit back down and throw down the colors with of course Prisma Color Markers. They might be expensive but there the best and probally the only thing I'll color with except of course the computer. -----Erik

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now I know why you were always gone for so long when you said you were drawing... did you always use this technique, or is this a practice you developed after going to school?

Now, young artists all around the world will copy you. ;)