Friday, July 27, 2007

Making a Skateboard

So for some reason last year I wanted to start skateboarding again, and when I mean again I mean when I was 8. But I had to have a cool design on my board. So I had a friend pick me up a blank deck from a local skate shop. Sanded off the little image that was about 4in by 5in then sanded the entire underbelly to get the factory coat off so the 2 step polyurethane would bond better to the fresh untreated wood. I wanted as much of the plain wood to show though so I copied my drawing onto a nice card stock and I also made it a little bigger so it fit the board a little better. When I got home I had to cut just the image out which took quite awhile. I did a quick coat of the polyurethane (sealer) placed the image where I wanted it and but one more coat on. I let it sit for about a day and a half and then but another coat of sealer on. I repeated this step a few more times. I had to drill out the holes again for the trucks but that wasn’t all too hard. I then made my way to the grip tape on the top side of my new vessel. I can easily say that the grip tape could have been done nicer. But it was my first time. Then as I was looking at it I thought how people are going to know I have this great design underneath. So I needed to add something to the top. So I had my friend at Jiu-Jitsu write "Living Legend" out in Japanese. I then scanned it blew it up and skewed it to my liking. Then again printed it out on some thick card stock, cut out the design making a template for the spray-paint. After a few sprays of white it was looking pretty stellar. I then thought I needed some help picking out the hard wear to get this thing moving. So thank you Quik Silver Seattle for giving me the great deal (discount) on the supplies. Oh and thank you to another helper also that was right there for the whole creation and probably rides it more then I do, Austin my son.-----Erik

No comments: