Monday, July 23, 2007

Birth of a Retainer: Step 6

So after all you’re smoothing and grinding steps and the image is finished. You then have to make sure the retainer sits down on the model correctly so it matches the mouth it’s going into, and yes it matters if it is slightly off. Then you take sand paper cut into thin strips and place it in the sanding mandrel (hand piece bit that hold the sand paper) you go over it first with a rough 100 grit and make sure all the scratches are out. The next step is going over it with the 300 grit which is a lot finer and makes your job at the pumice station easier. So of course next step pumice the retainer. Pumice is very fine sand that gets all the little scratches out then you wash it off and polish it to give it a nice great shine. There you go and it’s done. -----Erik

3 comments:

Rachel said...

very nice. Almost makes me wish I hadn't lost my retainer at Marine World 15 years ago...

g'becca said...

Erik, this is very impressive...can I have you make my retainer. If I have to wear one (eventually!, I would much prefer one of your designs! XO g'becca

awkwardgirl said...

OH LOOK. COMMENT!

Yes yes, this is what we do all day long. I couldn't remember which one you'd taken all the pics of for the steps, but I remember when you did it.